Monday, December 09, 2019


This issue of my blog will be pretty boring! 

Most of it I have said before, so it will be repetitive. Repetitive reminders are called nags. My reminder lists are called Nag Lists, JAZZ nag lists!

So NAG NUMBER 1
Thursday 12th YOU MUST GO OUT AND VOTE. In my view it is a democratic right that should not be forgone.

NAG NUMBER 2. Second thing to do on December 12th is to come out and support live jazz at HEDSOR JAZZ. Jezz Cook and Mike Wills (guitar and reeds) will try and enlarge our knowledge of the tunes written and played by jazz guitarists over the years.

NAG NUMBER 3. THE THIRD thing to do on Thursday is to ensure you have a ticket for our Christmas Party.

This year the entry price of £10 will get you in to the music and it will get you a plate of buffet food, but this year IT WONT GET YOU A RAFFLE TICKET. This Christmas we are going to sell you raffle tickets for a quality draw (Did I hear strains of Rolls Royce Corniche?) and ALL the money raised will be going to charity which will include Cancer Research UK.

Our star guests are on the poster above, others I’m sure will appear just to be part of our happy throng. It will be a wonderful night of live jazz as we celebrate Christmas at The Hedsor Club, a place we have been enjoying live jazz every week in since 2002. We will be there again in 2020, and our fist gig is on January 9th with Lester Brown + Mike Wills…The Clive Burton Celebration Quintet, a fitting start to a new year of live jazz music.

Whats left to say? Well it would be very wrong of me NOT to say what an absolutely wonderful session we had with Ian Smith and Ollie Wilby last Thursday. You could go miles, travel to many jazz festivals and not hear music of such quality. 

In fact Ollie Wilby did travel miles to play next day in Italy, leaving the UK at 5.30am! The quintet blended very well, especially as Ian had the habit of only calling the tune! Key and tempo were left a bit in the air, and there was at least one false start. But I would bear that for the kind of music, information and fun that it all gave us last Thursday.  It was improvised jazz at it’s very best, I just hope that you didn’t miss it! My photos of the evening are below.






Well there it is, a boring nagging Jazz from Geoff.

There May be one more in the pipeline for next week, but I may (!) just have to succumb to CHRISTMAS. I could even have succumbed to Tina May by December 25th!

One final thought. IF you would like to put fingers to keyboard and tell me the gigs you have enjoyed most at Hedsor Jazz during 2019, I will enter your prose into the blog, so get keying in! If you need any reminding on who played when you can always look back at previous blog issues, all of its pages are still available to view right from its inceptions in its current form in 2005!

Please email me your prose to geoff.jazzsuspect@gmail.com

No comments: