Tuesday, November 10, 2020

My Blog Bits this week are roughly on time!!

Yes, this week we are shut down, but gladly through various modern media, not shut off!

And it looks like good news today on the vaccination front. Hope now for next year, and a realignment of normal. But for now (a great song, this version by Bob Dorough) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfWaloOtV74  we still have to abide by the rules.

We may not be “new normal” by Christmas, but the release from lockdown may come before, and a very limited edition of Christmas could be possible. Do still keep December 17th clear in your diaries as depending on the rules that apply at the time an instant jazz night at Hedsor before Christmas may be possible.

But just so that you are reminded of what jazz sounds like before then I have gathered together a few more YouTube links, just to help you pass the time.

Martin Ashford, of Music in Marlow reminded me that some of Ronnie Scotts programs are available on YouTube via https://www.youtube.com/c/RonnieScottsClub/videos  There seems to be lots to investigate there.

Whilst casting around for something to fill a ½ hour yesterday I came across a very young lady both singing and playing the trumpet. Her name is Andrea Motis, and the clip I first watched had her as a very young 17 year old (She was born in Barcelona in 1995), and there are quite a number clips and concerts of her singing and playing on YouTube, and here are some links to get you started:-

The first one has her alongside tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo8og3xw-Ys&list=RDUxIPVAPRBi4&index=3


You will be able to find more from YouTube from here on, but check out also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxIPVAPRBi4&list=RDUxIPVAPRBi4&start_radio=1

again with Scott Hamilton in the ensemble.

I was amazed how self assured she seamed, and how capable. I was playing a trumpet at the same age (17), but had nowhere near the same level of skill or self assurance as this young Spanish lady.

Using Amazon Prime Music I also discovered this week another lady singer that I used to see almost every Wednesday in “The White Heart” in Southall. 

There is a great compilation of Ottilie Patterson with The Chris Barber Band:-


I recall that when it wasn’t the original Barber band playing at Southall, the Sandy Brown Jazzmen where in their place. On those nights the interval was longer, as Sandy was notorious for taking long intervals and had to be dragged back to play! The pub, now in a very cosmopolitan part of west London was demolished in 2009.


I know I mentioned Ottilie a couple of blogs back, but one tends to forget what an exciting singer she was. During those Southall days when she wasn’t actually singing with the Chris Barber band, she was sitting to one side of the stage, marking homework. She was a school teacher at the time. (mid 1950’s).

Well, that’s it for now folks.

Just an interesting self observation on leaving you this week. I have noticed that since the lock out of Live Jazz via Hedsor, I have been listening to more traditional jazz, which is where I came in! Is this my second childhood?

Don’t forget you can give me your feedback, comments, or even your life story, via octogeoff@outlook.com

 

 

 

No comments: