Tuesday, October 12, 2021

 A short Tuesday blog, as I did my best nagging best on Sunday!

Sadly our celebration with and for Alan Graham has had to be postponed this week, October 14th, but we will be welcoming saxophonist Frank Walden to Hedsor Jazz to play alongside Lester Brown, so a fun evening is still very much in prospect. Sadly no buffet, but Christmas is coming, and so, I hope, are you! 

I thought today I would add a postscript to my mention a couple of weeks ago of Scottish pianist Brian Kellock.


 I have finally got my hands on a copy of the actual CD “Bidin’ My Time” which has Brian exploring solo piano, (and some stride playing all at the same time) on a Bosendorfer grand piano. He makes a wonderful sound on it, and his improvisations are well worth paying attention to. Try “I Got Rhymn”. 

All the tunes will have you keeping time with your feet (or hands or w h y) but  I. G. R. will make them ache! A truly wonderful exploration of melody (which is well know to all) and of rhythm itself.

It’s a cd with more than one tune to listen to as well. I was pleased to see “Sunset and a Mocking Bird” from Duke Ellington’s “Queens Suite”, a delicate tune beautifully played.

The only time I ever saw Brian play he was in a group with saxophonist  Don Weller. Don got a bit shirty with Brian, as Brian’s solos were a bit lengthy!

DO take a look at Don’s footware, especially his laces!


 

But that's jazz!

PS The piano that is used for concerts in Marlow’s Christ Church URC is also a Bosendorfer grand piano!

No comments: