Tuesday, August 22, 2023

A sunny morning blog, what is happening?

I keep having that tune “I think its going to rain today” running through my head, but you never know, it might not (rain that is!).

It is however a great tune, with some words that make you think. Satirical, yes:-

Broken windows and empty hallways

A pale dead moon in the sky streaked with gray
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today

Scarecrows dressed in the latest styles
With frozen smiles to chase love away
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today

Lonely, lonely
Tin can at my feet
Think I'll kick it down the street
That's the way to treat a friend

Bright before me the signs implore me
To help the needy and show them the way
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today

Maybe some 60’s popular songs carried more of a message than we realised. Why not have a listen to the Nina Simon version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjQgN-PhBEU

You also might like to consider what the song is about, and what the references are actually referring to!

Coming to Hedsor Jazz this week we have a musician used to working in the popular music field, trumpeter Johnny Thurkel.



 









Popular music for his sustenance, but jazz for his soul perhaps? He was trained at the Leeds Collage of Music alongside Alan Barnes (who will be with us on September 7th!). With Johnny will be a long time supporter of Hedsor Jazz, Duncan Lamont Jr on reeds. 












He works a lot in showbiz too, but perhaps more in the world of Theatre. A great jazz player and the son of a great jazz saxophonist and song writer too. So come and join us on Thursday August 24th.

Last week we had trumpeter Stuart Henderson with us just before he set off on holiday, and he brought with him again saxophonist Jonathan Lewis. A really superb evening of jazz and of tunes that may not be heard that frequently. Like “Terrestris” written by trumpeter Tom Harrell or “Tee Pee Music” written by trumpeter Clark Terry.




 








It’s always good to have a happy jazz session on a Thursday, it sets you up for the weekend.

My pictures from the session are below.







 













As you will see we had “our” Mike Jeffries on drums as Martin was taking a break, and it is also nice to see back with us, after his tour of Tesco’s, bass player Steve Riddle. I had different members of the audience say to me afterwards that they both played very well “tonight”. I personally think they play well most nights that they play for us, but I did say to Mike at the interval that he was playing well, but not to let it go to his head!

So as you will understand, we have good music and good players at Hedsor Jazz. You could come too and make it a good audience. An audience that is a bit like an extended family, all helping to keep live jazz alive by being there!

TTFN

Geoff 

No comments: