Tuesday, March 13, 2018


A Short Reminder

Of what’s on at Hedsor Jazz this week.

If you read last week’s blog you will realise that this week we have The Clive Burton Celebration Quintet. And this week it will have one of our regular dep players, Ken McCarthy will be on Keyboard for us.

Martin last week reminded us that with Lester Brown joining the band that there will be some new tunes and some new arrangements of old tunes too. So do come and join us to see and hear what’s new (sorry we don’t do pussycats!).

Last week we had Lester joined by Kelvin Christiane on reeds (Mike Wills will one day get the painting of the railings completed. How many hours of community service will it be?) and a vibrant session was had.

Two items stand out for me, Kelvin’s feature “Nostalgia in Times Square” was not a tune we hear very often, and you don’t get it played on 2 saxophones at the same time by a single musician very often either.

The other outstanding number was the last of the night, Miles Davis’s “All Blues”.


Many of you will know the original tune is from Miles’s album “Kind of Blue”, but hearing it played so well and live at Hedsor Jazz made me revisit the original, and, yes, our live version on Thursday last week was pretty special.

It just so happened that my mobile phone was recording the evening, and if you want to see and hear what I am talking about take a look at my DropBox folder by following the link:-


I will leave it there for a couple of weeks to allow you to download it if you would like to.

As I said it did make me go back to some of the Miles Davis I have in my collection. I was fortunate to be given a promotional sample in 2009 of a selection from “The Complete Columbia Album Collection”. It arrived on one USB memory stick. Nearly 3 GB of WAV files, 27 tunes in all. I was fortunate, as even today, second hand, the complete set sells for £245, when first issued new it was £709!! Staggering!

Please don’t forget that for considerably less you can support not only Hedsor Jazz, but Cancer Research UK too by coming to our special evening on March 22nd. See last weeks blog for the poster. Yes, it will cost you £10! That’s each!!
All the profit from the evening will be going to CRUK.

See you all on Thursday.

TTFN



No comments: