Saturday, May 19, 2018


A Hedsor HOLIDAY Blog

I am currently away, enjoying the use of a Cotswold Stone house 1 mile inside Gloucestershire. The weather has been lovely, my activities have been great, and have encouraged me to do more walking than is good for my feet.

Westonbirt Arboritum
However, I do have access to email! And I had one from Hedsor's revered band leader, Martin Hart asking, very nicely, if I could enhance the advertising for next Thursdays Hedsor Jazz presentation! My initial reaction was that I would do this when I get home. However, I may not get home in time to give the gig a plug, so here I am about to plug 

Thursday May  24th

Martins email ran like this:-

Next week can be seen as "Special"  /   "different" .

Martin Nicklass and Mike are doing a "A SOPRANO SUMMET CELEBRATION".    They are putting together a programme.

So, there you have it, or perhaps not!!

When I was younger (yes, once I was) and impoverished (well, worse than I am now) I used to listen and illicitly record both Peter Claytons Jazz Record Requsts on a Saturday (it still runs 4pm most Saturdays, sadly no longer by the late Peter Clayton) and also Humphrey Lytteltons Monday nights “Best of Jazz”. One band I coveted LP’s of, (and could not afford) was “Soprano Summit”. This was a band led by saxophonist Bob Wilber, who was taught the soprano sax by non other than Sydney Bechet, and a clarinettist who at one time also played soprano sax, Kenny Davern. Later in life I did get to hear both these guys play. Mr Davern is no longer around, Mr Wilber, now in his 90’s, still is.

What will be simulated at Hedsor next week is some of the music of this legendary band. Mike is of course Mike Wills, clarinettist Martin Nicklass will be our guest.
Martin on his last visit to Hedsor, with Max Brittain

I hope to be there, (this house will still be available to me, so there is a strong temptation to stay) but you should be at Hedsor if you are resident at your home that day.
The House in the Cotswold's
I don’t think we will have a guitarist with us on the night, but “Soprano Summit” did, Marty Grosz. Do look up this band on Spotify, YouTube or w.h.y, then come and see how near our wonderful Hedsor Jazz ensemble comes in its replication. It will be great fun, because the original S.S were and our lot are pretty good too!

One last thought, check out the Swanage Jazz festival web site at https://www.swanagejazzfestival.co.uk/.  

I shall be there, DV as the saying goes!


 and the program looks                   GREAT

No comments: