Tuesday, May 21, 2019


You may feel that Hedsor Jazz pails into insignificance compared to our Euro Vote this Thursday.


On the other hand you may feel that some level of sanity and cross border cooperation can really be had at Hedsor Jazz. So I hope you can all vote with your feet (and £7) to come and see Lester Brown, Mark Aston, Peter Hughes, Mike Jeffries (yes, Martin IS still in Europe!), and Nigel Fox have a lively jazz debate on Thursday. I’m sure many colours will be represented, even if “All Blue”. It could be “The Lady in Red” or even “On Green Dolphin Street”. Voting isn’t compulsory in this country, but to keep live jazz alive, it kind of is!

Another compulsive must for me is to rejoice that the Swanage Jazz Festival is after all happening this year, albeit in a reduced format. Go to www.swanagejazzfestival.co.uk for a full program of who and where.

As I get older (haven’t you noticed?) I get slower, and I haven’t yet mastered the recording I made of last Thursdays Hedsor Jazz concert with Gill Cook. It was arranged at short notice as Alan Grahame has been unwell. We read it out last Thursday, but here is the text of Alan’s message to us:-

Subject The Club. Morning Geoff. Just to say I am so sorry I can't do tonight....still a bit under the weather.. but improving. And to say thank you to you and all your lovely people for the card and good wishes. I know Martin is not with you tonight but please pass on my regards to all. I will be in touch. Best wishes. Alan.

It was sad that Alan wasn’t with us last week, but Gill Cook performed splendidly. I have heard her many times, but I think last Thursday was the best I had ever heard her. Mike Jeffries, who was on drums last week, and had played for her at the St Pirans Jazz Festival a few years ago , said that she sang with so much more confidence than on that occasion. Another member of our audience said how well the combination of Ken McCarthy and John Coverdale worked, and I thought so too. You could see the big smiles on their faces. Top flight musicians using their individual talents and having fun. All in all another magical Hedsor Jazz night.

This week will be the last of the 3 week stint that Mike Jeffries has been on drums for us whilst Martin Hart has been away. Can I say a BIG THANK YOU to him. Some of the credit for the last three weeks of harmonious music goes to Mike. We will invite you back!

Do look back on past blogs. Most of our forthcoming gigs are advertised in them. Next Week (June 6th) we have Stuart Henderson and Duncan Lamont Jr.  with us again. I will have to ask special permission if I am to come to this one, as it is my wife’s birthday! I really must get a card!

Photos from last week’s gig  (some of mine and some from Geoff Swaffield) are below.











No comments: