Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Blog day, and what a difference a week makes!

Last week I was unable to be at Hedsor, but I am told it was a very enjoyable session provided by The Clive Burton Celebration Quintet, this being led by Lester Brown and “our” Mike Wills. Pictures below are provided by Geoff Swaffield (many thanks Geoff).






BUT one of the big differences this past week has been for the people of Turkey and Syria.

 

Last Monday’s terrible earthquake has devastated the area and also peoples lives. So as we look forward to more enjoyable Hedsor Jazz this week, “Jazz Angels” (the bank account behind the music at Hedsor) has decided that all money taken at the door this week (February 16th) , usually £10 per person entering, be donated to the relief of the Turkish Earthquake Emergency Appeal. If you would like to give more than the usual £10 this week, we will ensure that it all goes to that relief fund.

What you get in exchange for your generosity will be some superb music provided by Johnny Thirkle trumpet and Frank Walden tenor sax, all backed by Martin Hart and his trio.



 


This week I am pleased to say the trio will include Ken McCarthy back on keyboard. Ken has been much missed these past few weeks caused by a chest infection, and we look forward to seeing him back in the corner behind the keyboard (dare I suggest then that the band play “Corner Pocket”!) .We must however say “thank you” to Nigel Fox, who has been occupying that seat whilst Ken has been absent.

Coming on February 23rd we have a return of Al Nicholls and Max Brittain. This time I really hope I can be there to hear Al, as in recent months his appearances have coincided with me being in one of Frimley Park Hospital Trusts hospitals!

We have many more good things coming up in the months ahead, just watch this space.

But for now the song would say “let me say I love you”, but all I’m going to say is “bring a friend”!

 

Geoff

No comments: