Thursday, July 25, 2024

       The Swanage Jazz Festival 2024 Report 

                                    Part Two

Now for some of my thoughts on The Music I Listened to.

Friday

It was a bit of a scamper to book in to my digs after travelling from home and then be at the armband collection point AND to listen to music by 4pm, but I am being a bit ungrateful. It was vastly better than waiting ‘till 8pm as we did last year.

And the music I went to listen to was in the main Marquee 1.

4pm to 6pm, Greg Abate on alto sax, whom many will have seen in recent years in Marlow, was guesting with “The Sound of Blue Note”, who comprised of Andy Urquhart: Trumpet Terry Quinney: Tenor Sax Phil Doyle: Piano Ben Taylor: Bass Andy Chapman: Drums




This was good competent modern jazz, and it only felt strange that it finished at 6pm and we left the tent in the broadest daylight.



Next was Horns Upfront  with ex Berkshire Youth Jazz Orchestra (who morphed into “Pendulum” under Pat Kelly) Simon Allen on reeds. He was with Neil Doherty: Trumpet & Flugel Horn

Dave Desmond: Trombone Bryan Postlethwaite: Keyboards Rob Johnston: Guitar Callum Quinn: Bass Guitar Ted Carrasco: Drums.

Now the front line could well have played modern bop, but they kind of overlaid it with a heavy rock bass drum heavy 2 beat sound. Fine for the odd tune, but not good for 7.15pm to 8.30pm. This was the first of a run of gigs in Marquee 1 that had this rhythmic emphasis, and in the end, it becomes boring. The band also ended every tune with a sudden stop. Yes, boring.


Next up was a gig that I knew had Vasilis Xenopoulos playing in it, although not advertised as such. On the bill, celebrating “The Wonder of Steve” had been Derek Nash, but I thought I would go and support Vas as I knew he was playing.

I know the audience loved it, but it wasn’t jazz, it was heavy rock, loud etc and I cannot say the singer, Noel McCalla, endeared himself to me. He appeared to think he was a superstar, and wasn’t particularly polite to the sound guys. Yes, the sound balance was poor, but the sound guys said privately afterwards that it was how the musicians wanted it. 

It went on from 9.30pm to 11pm, through a rainstorm. Walking back to my digs in the dark I felt a jazz festival can do better than this. In fact over the 30 years I have been going to The Swanage Jazz Festival, it has done better than this

Saturday

Dawned dry, and I hopefully walked down to Marquee 1 (would the sun shine? Well, eventually it did, though rain had been forecast, it only drizzled for a short part of the day!). Sadly this year no New Orleans style parade, which had anyway shrunk last year to being just a walk up and down the front. This year, no parade at all!



11am to 12.15pm  We settled in to “JazzKnots” Oscar Brady: Keyboards Jude Brady: Guitar Mason Arnold: Bass Joe Marlow: Drums


 

We were back to 4 young musicians playing electronic music loudly.

 

But after them we had some almost acoustic music.



Modern Jazz played by Henry Lowther’s “Still Waters”  Henry Lowther: Trumpet Barry Green: Piano Dave Green: Bass Paul Clarvis: Drums. There was a lady deping for the saxophone chair, and sadly I didn’t catch her name, but please ask her to come again as she was very good.


This set (1pm to 2.15) was very enjoyable. A great set of thoughtful modern jazz, as we knew it would be by just looking at the line-up. My ears got back to normal, even if I didn’t hear the lady saxophonists name!!

Overall an excellent set that had Henry asking if the sound engineers could do anything about the loud rock sounds coming from Marquee 2!!

However in my plan for the day I was going to go to one of the free program events in the Mowlem Bar. This was Julie Lewis, a pianist/singer who had with her an excellent locally based saxophonist, Ian Ellis. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.











Julie is someone who is yet to find fame. In my view, she deserves a world stage but in the Mowlem bar that afternoon we had 2 hours of perfect small group vocal jazz.

I am hoping that we can persuade her to come to Hedsor before long, bringing Ian with her. In my view she has a great talent that should not be held captive in Dorset.











Due to this not being in the paid for plan, I had to rush back to Marquee 1 for Dave Newton and Alan Barnes, dueting together as they have done for many years, (they met a Leeds College of Music, and for over 2 years shared the same room). The Marquee was almost packed for these 2 playing small group jazz. This time the loud music from Marquee 2 did get in the way, and the stewards had to stop the session in Marquee 2 until Alan and Dave had finished there set.

This finished at 6.15pm, and as the next set in that marquee wasn’t until 7.30pm, I decided it was time to try the Burger Bar. Absolutely first class, and from such a small van too!

From 7.30pm on it was Brandon Allens Groove Band. Brandon Allen: Saxes Mike Outram: Guitar Jim Watson: Keyboards Chris Attwell: Electric bass Kati Paavola: Drums











Sadly this was another of the loud bass and drums variety of music, yes very reminiscent of Weather Report, but it wasn’t adding anything to my musical enjoyment and although I gave it a try for 2 or 3 tunes, I decided it was time to return to my digs.

 

Sunday











A nice sunny day, one of Swanage's best, but my choice for the morning was the Mowlem Centre where I listened to The Andy Hague Quintet. Andy Hague: Trumpet & Flugelhorn Ben Waghorn: Tenor Sax Jim Blomfield: Piano Riaan Vosloo: Double Bass Mark Whitlam: Drums

They hail from Bristol, and I first saw them at Swanage over 20 years ago. Andy runs the bebop music in Bristol, and has been much praised by many, including Winford Marsallis. Modern Jazz, well played and well announced, the hour and a quarter went too soon.



 








I did take a little time out to just watch the view. I sat on the short pier near the Marquees for a while and was watching the coastguards practicing rescue from the sea, when they were interrupted by a traffic warden telling them they were being reported for blocking the (closed) gates to the shore road and that they would be reported. Maybe she should have been the object of a wet rescue?











Then, in to Marquee 1 from 3pm to 4.15pm I listened to Lucy Moon telling the story of Anita O’Day. Lucy Moon: Vocals Jake McMurchie: Tenor Sax Chris Jones: Bass Matt Stockham Brown: Drums Dale Hambridge: Keyboards

I thought she was good and would like to see her again.  She sang and told the story of Anita well. A more imaginative pianist would have helped.











The rest of the afternoon and early evening in Marquee 1 was taken over by Vasilis Xenopoulos in 2 different sets.

 

First, from 5pm to 6.15pm it was "Five way Split". Quentin Collins: Trumpet Vasilis Xenopoulos: Tenor Sax Rob Barron: Piano Matyas Hofecker: Bass Matt Home: Drums











Superb. Founded in the year of covid, during the slight relaxation when they were enable to practice in a flat in Swiss Cottage for 5 weeks. They have written most of the tunes themselves, and 3 of the 5 took on the task of introducing them. Very good arrangements, and tightly arranged and played. No sign of  music stands, all played from memory. I asked Vasilis how they could get so tight a sound, and he said that with musicians of their quality they have rarely been given the opportunity to practice for so long (5 weeks). Hence now it is embedded.

After a short break Vasiis appeared with Nigel Price (just like they used to do). Nigel Price: Guitar Vasilis Xenopolous: Tenor Sax Matyas Hofecker: Bass Matt Home: Drums

















They are world class, just as I told the audience of Cookham’s Pinder Hall when I introduced them at a Cookham Festival concert many years ago. I have never forgotten Matt after the gig saying “you come all the way out here into the sticks and then you get a standing ovation”!

 

They finished their concert at Swanage at 8pm. Just time to buy another burger and take it back to my digs in time to see England not win at football!

Well done Paul Kelly and your team. There are things that could be better, but it is far better than not having a Swanage Jazz Festival to go to every year, and it is obvious that you do listen to your audience.

I already have my tickets for next year!

1 comment:

Alan said...

Hiya Geoff, glad you enjoyed Swanage. I doubt I'll ever go back, it's not what it was, which at its best was excellent. The new organiser seems to just go for his preferences and doesn't want to hear any criticism or suggestions. Sorry I wasn't there to see you this year. With all best wishes, Alan