Tuesday, April 02, 2019


Geoff’s Blog this week will really be brief! I might have sprung forward an hour, but I feel I’m still catching up on that lost hour of sleep!

However, looking forward we have on Thursday a first time! “Our” trumpet player Lester Brown (now a much changed man..he is newly married!) has been to Hedsor many time, so it cant be his first time. Saxophonist Mark Aston has been to Hedsor many times as well, so it isn’t his first time either. BUT it will be the first time they have played at Hedsor together!

They do however play regularly together in another band so it will be interesting to hear what they do together at Hedsor Jazz. I anticipate a bit more mainstream jazz than bop, perhaps even the odd traditional jazz tune. BUT I have been known to be wrong before (not often!!).

One of those trad tunes may contain the lyric “I may be late but I’ll be up to date”, (if they play "I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate"!) as sadly Thursday afternoon I have to go to the funeral of an old work colleague, but I do hope to get to hear this first time combination.

I’m reading a Peter Robinson book at the moment, one of the latest in the DCI Banks series.  One line from it hit home this week, “I don’t recommend getting old”. I will say however, that it is better than the only other alternative!

Looking back (which all of us aged people can) last weeks session was as good as I had built it up to be. The combination of Stuart Henderson and “Tolly” plus “our” rhythm section was top class. I did record it, and it will be available via my DropBox folder and the link. With DropBox you cannot use the link directly, you do have to copy the link and past it into your internet search engine. You should then get all of the music, and the art for a cd cover if you want one.

DropBox Link 


Some picture from last weeks session (mine and Geoff Swaffield’s) are below.






Just to put the speculation to bed, Tolly is Ukrainian! His name….Anatoliy Vyechslavov

A few forthcoming gigs to put in your diary, all with Nigel Fox keyboard and Martin Hart drums unless they put in deps or as stated otherwise:-

April 4th   Lester Brown trumpet with Mark Aston saxophones Steve Riddle 
               will be on bass

April 11th Robert Goodhew saxophone, plus as yet to be arranged guest. 
              Andy Crowdy on bass

April 18th Martin Nickless clarinet plus yet to be arranged

Into the future I have Nigel Price guitar booked for June 13th

On August 1st we have singer Sarah Moule with her husband Simon Wallace on keyboard and David Lewis on sax doing their Duke Ellington night. Do look them up on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjFS1-TygQ4

December 19th will be our Christmas Party, again with singer Tina May as our guest.

No comments: