Tuesday, May 12, 2020


Another sunny Tuesday. Another lockdown day. Another blog from Geoff possibly even mentioning JAZZ.

I hope you are all coping well. I also hope you enjoyed the VE Day celebrations. I can still remember the original street party, held in a cul-de-sac just off Hammersmith Grove. In my current cul-de-sac most neighbours held afternoon tea in their front gardens, with bunting from tree to house. Other neighbours doing their daily exercise stopped and chatted from the other side of our low hedge, and 2 neighbours, neither of who had been very well recently, came and pulled up a spare chair each and chatted for half an hour from a suitable distance. Even that level of social contact made all the difference to all four of us. The photos of our front were taken the following morning (no not after the raid)!






May 19th is coming up, and I would suggest that we all hold in our memory on that day Jazz Angel John Jordan. Do look back to last weeks blog issue for further details, but just as a thought reminder for you now as you read this, his funeral will be at 1pm on May 19th. Some of the music to be played at that funeral will be a recording of “Some Other Time” as played by Stuart Henderson at Hedsor back in 2019.

I am going to list below all the Hedsor Jazz that is still in my DropBox folders. I am going to add one more this week.

files from past uploads:- 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kos48ixrb3lw3t7/AACnaIFj1qGxJvMIaE7Dgf7oa?dl=0

Exactly a year ago on Thursday we had an evening with singer Gill Cook together with guitar John Coverdale. It seems like another life ago now, but that evening was recorded, and it is available from my DropBox for you to listen to, to remind you of those good times past. Do that soon (you can download the files) because I must shortly remove the files to make more space for new (old!) ones!



Files from the Gill Cook cd upload to Dropbox:- 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/diq2tvzfzz01wqv/AAC7Q7p0u43U7ArOIvUQE_F_a?dl=0

JAZZ PAST 
Over the past 7 weeks or so I have been listening to some of the jazz recordings that encouraged me on my jazz journey. Today I am going to re mention a double CD I have of a jazz ensemble led by trombonist Vic Dickenson. Back in 1953 he recorded with his septet what became known as the first recordings of Mainstream Jazz. In the days of Bop and more Traditional Jazz these recordings were referred to as being from the mainstream of jazz, and that phrase stuck as a label. Where would we be without our instant label "tags"?

Issued on a 10inch LP were “Russian Lullaby” and “Jeepers Creepers”, closely followed by another 10 inch LP (all recordings of course were done on the same day, December 29th 1953) of “I Cover the Waterfront”, Sir Charles at Home” and “Keeping Out of Mischief Now”. 

What a class band they were, how relaxed their playing, and how at ease they were with there own ability to play together. They were also able to use the new media of long playing records to record with solo and tune lengths never before achievable on 78's. It is no coincidence that early jazz recordings were between 3 and 4 minutes long. That was the capacity of  a ten inch 78 record. 

With Vic were Edmund Hall clarinet, Ruby Braff trumpet, Steve Jordan guitar, Walter Page bass, “Sir” Charles Thompson piano and Les Erskine drums. Eleven months later they all went back into a studio and recorded 7 more tunes. 

Do go and search, my double album was issued first in 1993 on Vanguard 662221. I believe that most of this material has since been reissued again at a bargain price, so do check out Avid Jazz.


Well, I hope you do find some new recordings to listen to, I also hope you find some of your own collection to re- listen to. Don’t forget if you want to make comment about what you have found, or even what you have found MISSING, email me on Octogeoff@outlook.com

And finally, do think of Joan and Mandy as they go to John’s funeral next Tuesday, May 19th at 1pm. I know they have found the support of jazz friends a great help and comfort .



No comments: