Tuesday, January 12, 2016

January 12th 2016

Another week, another blog from Geoff.

Our regular jazz haunt at The Hedsor Social Club will be back in use again on Thursday, with the Clive Burton Quintet almost as usual.

Both our regular pianist and our regular bass player will be away this week, but I am assured deputies have been put into place. Rumour has it that they may be Ken McCarthy and John Monney, but who turns up may surprise us all!!


We are on the hunt for some special guests (in addition to special deps!!) to lighten our January and February, but as yet I cannot confirm who they are (I do have their names written down!!). However DO rest assured that Hedsor Jazz will be with you throughout 2016, bringing you terrific quality live jazz every week.

Having last week discovered and reviewed a Tony Coe CD that was new to me, these past few days I have been going through my existing collection of Tony Coe recordings.

So, this week here is a 1997 recording, released in 1999, that if you don’t have it already, is another “must” for your collection.


“Jumpin” on Zepher Records ZECD25 not only has Tony Coe, but Alan Barnes and Warren Vache in Septet form with Brian Lemon on piano, Dave Cliff guitar, Dave Green bass and either Allan Ganley or Clark Tracey on drums. The recording is excellent, beautifully crisp, and the tunes from a variety of great jazz musicians are wonderfully played, apparently in someone’s front room!! Well the sleeve notes lead you to believe this!

Jay McShann’s “Jumpin the Blues” kicks off the set, and Coltraine’s “Giant Steps” and Tadd Dameron’s “On a Misty Night” are tailed by Ellington’s “The Jeep is Jumpin’” It can still be obtained from http://secondhandsongs.com/release/96457

There is so much good jazz out there to listen to that was recorded in the past.


Another, this time a double CD, to pass my ears this week has been a compilation called “The Best of Barber, Ball and Bilk -  Boaters. Bowlers and Bowties” takes me back to my days before and during my National Service in the RAF. But it IS still surprisingly good jazz. Innovative tunes as well as warhorses. Barber playing “King Kong” stands out for me. The recordings are pretty good too, many in genuine stereo, when in my day (no, it IS still my day, but perhaps a little bit later) they were all on mono LP’s, some of which are still in my loft! 39 tunes in all.


Or buy it anyway to make you realise again what a good singer Ottilie Patterson was.


I have never forgotten here appearing with Barber (to whom she was married a the time) at Hammersmith Town Hall, in a black dress with a long skirt, and amazing everyone when she lifted her skirt to show long bright red boots! In those days (c 1960), that was NEW!

OK, I wonder who will be wearing the boots on Thursday, why not come and see!!


No comments: