Tuesday, March 17, 2020


Jazz from Geoff

Well, that was how it all started, and that would be the words that with a search of Google would have got you to my blog in the first place. In more recent years, usually I have headed up my weekly blog with “Hedsor Jazz”, but to everyone’s disappointment, due to the incredibly unusual situation we all now find ourselves in, there is NO HEDSOR JAZZ until further notice.

As an over 70 year old with underlying health problems I have been persuaded (nagged might be a better word) to self isolate as much as possible, and I’m sure many of you will be in the same lonely boat. So, in the next few weeks I have decided that my blog will continue, although unable to tell you about gigs in the future, I can write up a bit about gigs in the past, point you at some shareable media with jazz music you may not have heard yet, and to put in an occasional link in my DropBox folder to recordings I have made at Hedsor Jazz in the past.

This being the first since the curfew began, I can let you see the photos from last weeks session with Alan Grahame and Terry Hutchins that were taken by Geoff Swaffield and Jim Donovan, and I can give you my first DropBox link for you download and listen to, perhaps even on a Thursday evening.

First the photos from what I was told “was light and happy music. Alan Grahame is amazing”.
I was also told that just as special and amazing was the bass player for the evening, non other than Andy Crowdy.






I know we will all miss the comradeship and chat we get from our jazz friends, both on Thursdays and at other times and places but maybe we can help by passing jazz links on to each other, and I am certainly prepared to facilitate this through my blog. To help in this, if you would like to communicate with me by email, please use the following email address. Octogeoff@outlook.com
I will only be using this email address for such jazz music related correspondence.

Don’t forget that ordinary steam radio does sometimes play jazz. Something I have used for decades is “Jazz Record Requests” now run on a Sunday afternoon from 4pm. It is on BBC Radio 3.

Michael Eagleton will still be running his Sunday Evening program on Marlow FM 97.5 called “Swing that Music”. Do check this out, because even if you are not within range of the FM broadcast, it is now available via an internet link, so check your way via https://www.marlowfm.co.uk/

So for my fist link to a recording from Hedsor jazz in the past.




I hope you enjoy this blast from the past, do let me know via that email address.

Until we meet again, keep safe and don’t forget to wash you hands!

No comments: