Tuesday, February 15, 2022

 

We have the promise of a wet and windy week, and as I type it is raining. There are also rumours of war, and indeed, we have been suffering from “pestilence” recently too, but what I can offer you this week is a Thursday night full of jazz promise!

Our recent weeks have brought much joy to those who frequent Hedsor Jazz. Last week we had the pleasure of Ukrainian “Tolly”, playing some tremendous tenor sax alongside the trumpet of Stuart Henderson. They were both more than just supported by Ken McCarthy on keyboard, Peter Hughes on bass and “our” Martin Hart on drums. They were driven along. So much so that one of our newer supporters said we had raised the jazz content of Hedsor Jazz to another level!!

Whilst we were enjoying this experience I did wonder how “Tolly” was feeling about the threat to his country from its Russian neighbour. His playing was bold and exciting and gave nothing away of his possible apprehension.

My photos of the session are below:-











Brian










This coming Thursday (February 17th) we have a return of “our” Lester Brown on trumpet. He will be partnered by Frank Walden on reeds + Terry Davis on bass, Ken McCarthy on keyboard and MIKE JEFFRIES on drums.

Martin had intended to be away in foreign parts this week, but the paperwork complications of returning home in this covid era have postponed his outing, and he will be with us. He intends to “borrow” Mike Jeffries conga drums and sit in on a few numbers, but also to take some photographs of the session.

As many of you know, for the sake of a bit of colour for this blog, I take some snaps of each Hedsor Jazz session. Martin is however a prize winning photographer and I hope you will be able to tell the difference!!

Following on, on February 24th, we will have with us that booting Welsh tenor player Al Nicholls. He will be joined by guitarist Max Brittain, plus the same rhythm section as for this week. Al has been a supporter of Hedsor Jazz from the beginning. Not normally playing with Max, (another long time supporter of our local jazz efforts) this should make an interesting combination of the different talents available on the night.

For all of the Hedsor Jazz concerts we only charge an entry fee of £10. Our usual start time is 8.30pm, and if you need the last bus home, we finish at 11pm. To give some peace of mind to all who come to Hedsor can you please ensure you have a clear lateral flow test on the day you come.

One final request. Can you ensure mobile phones are turned OFF please during the music. Incoming calls, even when the phone is "silent" can cause electrical interference.

Please let others know how good the jazz product is at Hedsor. We have been going a long time, and I like to think we are a jazz community offering friendship as well as music. But we do need an audience, not just for the financial ability paying people gives us, but also to add to the atmosphere for the musicians to enjoy, as well as you the punters.

“But for now”.......enjoy “Stormy Weather”

“Sure I know you'd like to have me
Talk about my future
And a million words or so to fill you in about my past
Have I sisters or a brother
When's my birthday how's my mother
Well my dear in time I'll answer all those things you ask

But for now I'll just say I love you
Nothing more seems important somehow”

And of course

“Don't know why
There's no sun up in the sky
Stormy weather
Since my man and I ain't together
Keeps raining all of the time

It’s amazing what you can convey with a lyric!!

No comments: