Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Coming to Hedsor Jazz this week we have:-

Someone we used to see every week at Hedsor and who we will be a please to see and hear again, “our”
reedman Mike Wills. 

Coming with him will be that talented guitarist Jez Cook. They have played for us at Hedsor Jazz many times before, and have occasionally been known to play some Django Rheinhardt tunes.



Jez has played with some eminent musicians in the past, and we look forward to welcoming him back to Hedsor Jazz.

One of our regular eminent musicians sadly wont be with us this week. Ken McCarthy has managed to damage a finger, which for a pianist of such great repute, is a daft thing to do. We wish him a speedy recovery and light duties for a few days eh Ken?

In his place is another Oxford based musician, keyboard player Rod Kelly. He comes highly recommended by Mike Wills, and probably in the same car!


 



 


Pictures below are of last weeks Hedsor Jazz session with superb singer Sarah Moule, supported on tenor sax by Duncan Lamont Jr.






I have heard Sarah many times, and I really do believe that she sang better than ever last week.

She says herself. “I'm happy in my singing – I guess I've reached an age where I please myself and hope I can take other people along with me, rather than the other way around”. It was a great evening spoilt only by a diminished audience. OK Easter Holidays beckon, but please do keep supporting live jazz. With sessions like last week it won’t be a hardship. With attendance like last week local jazz of this quality will become impossible.

I used the word support above, and details of our support for the situation in Ukraine are becoming clearer.

I can confirm this morning that May 5th will be our special fundraising  evening for the needs of the Ukrainian refugees.

Committed to the evening so far are our regular rhythm section led by Martin Hart, but with an augmented front line which will include Vasilis Xenopoulos, Frank Walden and Stuart Henderson. There will be others.

I will give more information as it comes to hand, but do tell your friends. All the musicians will be playing for no fee, and all the money from the evening will be going help Ukraine. It may also even be a longer evening than usual, but details have yet to be finalised. Put it in your diary. Lets break Hedsor Clubs capacity rules.

OK, lets hear that interval riff...

That's it for now folks. 

No comments: