Wednesday, February 03, 2021

 

Jazz from Geoff 3.2. 2021

Today I have to start with piece of sad news. We seem to be surrounded by news that isn’t always glad, and this blog must begin by mention of the passing of pianist Frank Toms, who died at home on 27th January of a heart condition.

Most of us who listened to Hedsor Jazz have probably heard, or heard of, Frank, although I don’t think he ever played at Hedsor. 

For around 50 years Frank has been the keyboard player for Marlow Jazz, in all of its manifestations. "The Firefly" in Bourne End, "The Cross Keys" in Marlow, and for the last few years "The Royal British Legion Hall" in Marlow. He had such a long link with Michael Eagleton and his jazz promotional work that he is survived by his son Elliot, who frequently played drums in Marlow Jazz’s later venues alongside his father, and certainly at The Marlow British Legion Club. 

Many of you will be saddened by his passing, his family and also Michael Eagleton as well. I know how it feels to loose someone you have worked with so closely for such a long time and my sympathy goes out to his family and to all who worked with Frank, and certainly to Michael.

Another friend of both Marlow Jazz and Hedsor jazz has written a better tribute to Frank than I can, and that is Simon Spillett. Do check out his piece for The London Jazz News

https://londonjazznews.com/2021/01/31/frank-toms-1937-2021-a-tribute-by-simon-spillett/









Michael himself emailed with the above photo saying The picture attached is Frank’s 10 piece band “Conkers” at Marlow Jazz Club. 

Also there will be a tribute in Marlow FM’s Jazz Show “Swing That Music” Sunday 7th along with his best known composition “Danielle And The Holly Tree”, and, the following week, “Alfie”, both with the Quartet co-led with Pat Crumly - “Edge”.

Marlow FM:  97.5FM or on-line at www.marlowfm.co.uk 

There is a song by George Harrison (yes, he of the Beatles) that sums up something about our darker days:-

Sunrise doesn't last all morning
A cloudburst doesn't last all day
Seems my love is up
And has left you with no warning
But it's not always going
To be this grey
 
All things must pass
All things must pass away
 
Sunset doesn't last all evening
A mind can blow those clouds away
After all this my love is up
And must be leaving
But it's not always going
To be this grey
 
All things must pass
All things must pass away
 
All things must pass
None of life's strings can last
So I must be on my way
And face another day
 
Now the darkness only stays at night time
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good
At arriving at the right time
But it's not always going
To be this grey
 
All things must pass......


One other thought from me about loss and dark days.

There are millions of stars, but you can only see them when it’s dark.

I personally am glad for starlight!


 


 




Something that can contribute to our light are musical experiences 
that can be viewed on YouTube. 
On Feb 1st Ronnie Scotts club did a live stream featuring 
the music of George Gershwin, introduced by pianist James Pearson. 
There are nearly 2 hours of performance for you to watch, and it is 
well worth your effort to do so. 
A really interesting session. See 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L893s87neQ&t=1851s

One final bit to finish on. Last week I wrote about Charlie Watts at 
Scotts with a large Big Band. Mike Wills, Hedsor Jazz’s reed player, 
emailed me with this story:-

Your mention of the Charlie Watts Big Band reminds me of a couple of stories which might make you smile!

The first one concerns my mum – who was once cuddled by Charlie Watts!  There’s a bit of preamble to this – so here goes.  I grew up in Southgate, North London, and our next door neighbour was a guy called Roy Sidwell – who was a pro sax player (and incidentally gave me my first couple of lessons – so he’s got a lot to answer for!); he was a really lovely guy and a really good player.  Anyway, for a period in the early 80s he was a member of Charlie Watts’ Big Band, and during that time they went to the States to play at the Newport Jazz Festival.  It so happened that at the same time my mum was in Toronto in Canada visiting my sister Claire, and Roy knew this and managed to obtain some tickets so that my mum, Claire and her husband George could see the band at Newport Jazz Festival – which indeed they did – George drove them down and they had a great time.  After the gig Roy invited them backstage, and introduced them to Charlie, who (having had a few bevvies by this point) was very friendly and delighted to see my 80-year old mum and gave her a big cuddle!  Anyway, when my mum got back home I asked her how she’d enjoyed it – she said it wasn’t really her sort of thing, but she said that Roy was wonderful (although I doubt very much whether he had a solo all night, with the other stars in the line-up!) – and then I asked her who was top of the bill that night – and she said “Oh I don’t know, some bloke with a saxophone”.  I went next door later and asked Roy who that “some bloke” was – and he said it was Stan Getz!!  I was forever jealous of that, because I never saw Getz – but my mum was obviously not impressed!

The other story was one I heard concerning Stan Tracey, who as you say was in that band.  I think for a lot of the time there were also two drummers – I believe that was because Charlie was quite modest about his jazz playing ability and wanted a bit of insurance so he hired a pro jazz drummer as well (I forget who it was just now).  Anyway, apparently they were rehearsing at some point and someone asked Stan if he could play a bit more on the beat – and he said “Sure – but which fucking one?”!!

One more Charlie Watts CD to dig for, this time with someone else’s Big Band






















TTFN

Geoff
PS, the background light and dark that appears in some of the above text is beyond my understanding or control!! Sorry if it makes it less easy to read on your device.

 

No comments: