Thursday, February 25, 2021

OK, it’s late again, and the reason is a long story which I wont go into right now, BUT it is to do with computer hacking and the fact that I was hacked some months ago. So if you get to read this, and would like to tell others it is now out this week, please do, because I am not going to issue the usual emails to let people know it has been released, as I think that is one of the ways my PC has be “disturbed”!

DO let others share in “Jazz from Geoff” by spreading info via your email to theirs the fact that it’s update IS out. I will try to get it issued every week as near to Tuesday as I can make it.

You can still email me if you so desire via octogeoff@outlook.com

So having got that off my fingers, here’s to the next item!

We have a route out of lockdown! Maybe hesitant and fragile, but at least we have the semblance of a plan.

So put May 20th in your diary now. Hedsor Jazz is planning to have a socially distanced jazz evening (following all the rules applicable at the time). We are allowed to have a maximum of 30 people coming to attend. We will need the contact details of those who do come, and we need to limit the numbers coming. So please tell Tracy Georgiades via email  tracy.georgiades@gmail.com  who you are, and we will send you an attendance voucher if the event goes ahead. No voucher, no entry so log your interest with Tracy and for now, mark your diary!

Over the past months I have led you to various YouTube links that I personally have enjoyed. But there are other organisations that will also lead you to areas of Jazz interest. Can I recommend that you sign up, if you haven’t done so already, to https://www.jazzinreading.com . Recent articles include mention of one of Hedsor Jazz’s favourite friends Stuart Henderson, and it will give you a link to his latest CD.


 













I know that many of you watched the TV Documentary about saxophonist  Barbara Thompson, and this week for me this has been enhanced by receiving not only the 14 CD Boxset  “Barbara Thompson at The BBC”, but also her book “the autobiographical story”  called “Journey to a Destination Unknown”.

I can recommend both, having been a fan since the early 70’s when the LP of her  band  “Jubiaba” came out. I saw her, and her better known band “Paraphernalia”, many times until she was forced to stop playing after succumbing to Parkinson’s disease.

I consider her to be one of Britains great talents, her saxophone and flute playing being flawless, and her ideas making you think “why doesn’t everyone say that” over a tune or a phrase.



 













I have yet to play all of the 14 cd’s (yes, even in lockdown!), but I have played CD No 14. I chose it to play first because it was recorded in Marlow Football Club in 1989. According to the CD notes, that’s the Marlow in Berkshire!! Culled from a Radio 3 “Sounds of Jazz” broadcast and introduced by Peter Clayton, it just shows what a great performer she was.

She was of course married to drummer Jon Hiseman, (also on many of the CD tracks) who first came to my attention in the band “Colosseum”, another great ground breaking band but in a different musical genre. Sadly Jon, who had become Barbara’s carer, died in 2018 of complications after an operation on a brain tumour.


 









I met both of them once when I and my family were on holiday near “The Forest of Dean”. We had discovered that not far into Wales there was a pub running a jazz night, so we all went. To my utter astonishment there buying her family a round of drinks was Barbara Thompson. So I asked “what are you doing here” , or words to that effect, to which she replied,” a bit like you, we are on holiday”. The jazz group were an amateur trio, and she didn’t sit in, but the drummer of the group did ask Jon if he would, and he did! Amazingly nice people!

The book and the boxset are obviously worthwhile additions to my collection, and would be to yours too. If you are unsure of her band “Paraphernalia” do check out a sample at

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiHzruN_YTvAhXVtHEKHf2cC48QwqsBMAF6BAgDEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqgKqXLDOgnc&usg=AOvVaw2nQkgctZeGqIrVbj_YAiDJ

Unless your German is fluent you may want to miss the first minute and a half!

For details of the boxset see

https://www.repertoirerecords.com/artists/barbara-thompson/barbara-thompson-live-at-the-bbc/

For the book, go to her website https://barbara-thompson.co.uk/product/journey-to-a-destination-unknown/











That’s about it for today. Don’t forget tell people about the blog and I apologise for not putting out nags about it’s release. I will try and find a safer way of letting you know when it is updated.

Dont forget to email Tracy about May 20th, and me at octogeoff@oulook.com for anything else. Updating your email address does come to mind!

TTFN

 

Geoff

 

No comments: