Tuesday, November 22, 2022

I realize that my blog over recent years has become very Hedsor orientated, but I am proud that with many leaders and helpers over the past 20 years, Hedsor Jazz has run every Thursday that it was legally allowed to do, with the exception of the occasional week off for Christmas holidays!

At Hedsor we have never played the Avant Garde, the cutting edge of jazz is really for a different audience. One of the audience of Marlow Jazz that I met at their last event (Alan Barnes and Greg Abate) said how nice it was that bop tunes were being played there. He lived in London and the young musicians playing in many of the gigs available to him there were playing music that didn’t hark back to that, or any earlier, era, so “Straight No Chaser” was a tonic for his ears, to which I HAD to mention that we often hear tunes like that at Hedsor Jazz.

Last night I watched The BBC Young Jazz Musician of The Year final. The contestants were all technically excellent, all under the age of 25, and all I’m sure will have fulfilling and exciting rolls playing jazz into the future. But many didn’t lean on jazz’s history for their inspiration. Much of their repertoire was tonal and/or compositional, albeit somewhat overshadowed by heavy drumming.

Only 2 players got loud and enthusiastic applause from the audience. Both of their performances had melody as well as tonality. Sadly, neither of them were winners. Do look out for it in BBC iPlayer and let me know what you think. I may be wrong; it has been known!!

As I listened I compared it in my head (yes, my head is STILL a wrap) with last week's session at Hedsor Jazz. (A session that in fact will be somewhat replicated at Marlow Jazz on December 13th).

https://www.marlowjazz.co.uk/DECEMBER2022POSTER.pdf

Alan Grahame played the vibes. He is 95, and yet harmony, melody and swing were all there. SO was tonality MJQ style as he played his feature number “Milano”.

The whole evening was delivered to us by 4 musicians over 80, and one of younger years (who grew up via The Berkshire Youth Jazz Orchestra). It was an absolute delight to be there. Alan was supported by Max Brittain on guitar, Ken McCarthy on keyboard, Andy Crowdy on bass and Martin Hart on drums. You won’t find a better evening of jazz anywhere no matter what you pay, but you may find its equal on December 13th!

As an added bonus, the audience last week also raised over £100 for Children in Need. Many thanks for supporting great causes.

Ken McCarthy, Andy Crowdy, Max Brittain, Martin Hart, Alan Grahame


Yes we do of course get younger players at Hedsor. They also all produce some wonderful vibrant music.

On December 8th we are filling the gap in our published program by inviting Alam Nathoo and Nick Mills to return to us.

Ken McCarthy, Alam Nathoo and Nick Mills


What a pairing they were earlier in the year, and what a finish they will add to our year which has, as it’s finale, our Christmas Party on December 15th which will be led by trumpeter Stuart Henderson.

Peter Hughes, Stuart Henderson, Martin Hart and Alan Barnes

 

    









But we haven’t finished with November YET, and for our next session (November 24th) we have two wonderful musicians coming to Hedsor Jazz, Ian Smith on trumpet and verse (come and find out what I mean) alongside saxophonist Ollie Wilby. We will also welcome back for 2 weeks keyboard player Nigel Fox in place of Ken McCarthy, who is renewing his energies by taking a holiday "up North"!

Terry Davis, Ian Smith, Martin Hart and Ollie Wilby











I really do feel that having Hedsor Jazz in my life has been, and I hope will continue to be, a privileged part of life.

A life where I have listened live to some of jazz’s legendary players. But Hedsor Jazz has given me a different dimension, the friendship of some of those players. Why not share that joy with some of your friends who haven’t had the Hedsor Jazz Experience before and bring them along?

 

Having written all of the above, I am now off to have my head examined AGAIN!!

 

Geoff C 

No comments: